Thursday, March 5, 2009

Uncle Jim

My very sweet and dear Uncle Jim died this week after a short but hard fought battle with cancer. Uncle Jim was my late father's youngest brother. A tall, handsome man with twinkling blue eyes and a beautiful smile, he could take anything apart and put it right back together again. His passion was vintage automobiles, which he collected and restored to perfection.

Last year Uncle Jim, his dear and devoted wife Ruth and my mother all went to Europe with a bunch of other antique car enthusiasts. He had one of his favorite automobiles shipped over by boat, where it was waiting for the three of them upon arrival, and off they went with their other car buddies, all driving in old fashioned high style throughout Europe.

I am so happy that they were able to take that final trip. My heart goes out to my Aunt Ruth who loved him so deeply. And I take comfort in imagining my Uncle Jim and my Father together again, for they were so close, and Uncle Jim had a very hard time with my Father's passing 6 years ago. Cancer took these brothers from us way too soon, each only in their late 60's, and both with much more living left to do.

And on that sad note, I ask you in honor of my Uncle Jim and in honor of all the ones that you each have loved and lost, let's each be sure to hug a family member or friend today, and to tell them how much they mean to us.

Also, please except my apologies for not keeping up with everyones blogs lately... please know that you all are important to me. I value the friendship, loving support, encouragement and creativity that we all share and I promise to visit soon. xo Victoria

15 comments:

picciolo said...

A big hug to you Victoria at this sad time, and best wishes to your family
: )

Janis said...

Oh Victoria. I am so sorry for your hurt. Such a beautiful story of that special European trip. I'm glad you all have that memory, knowing that he lived life to the fullest.

You have my prayers for you and your family in these difficult days. God bless.

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

You painted a very handsome portrait of your uncle. I'm sorry for your heartache. Peace to you and your family, Victoria.

Hey Harriet said...

I'm so sorry that your uncle Jim passed away. I do love the story of Jim, Ruth and your mum driving around Europe in a cool antique car. Now that's classy! I so wish that a cure for cancer could be found. It takes far too many lives. I will do as you suggest in honor of your uncle Jim and for others, and I'll hug like crazy. I like huggin so I'm happy to hug-it-up for a worthy cause. I wish you were within hugging range so I could give you one right now. Take care Victoria, and again, I'm sorry about your uncle. xox

High Desert Diva said...

I cannot believe he shipped the car over to toodle around Europe in! How cool was that? Hugs to you and your family!

Colleen MacDonald said...

Oh honey. It's so hard to lose our loved ones, and especially when they're so young. I will be sending you good energy, and will hug everyone I love today. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

Victoria, I’m sorry to hear about your loss. Sorry to hear about your father too.
As I won’t see anybody today I send you all my hugs and love! Take care.


It’s good to know your uncle Jim had such a wonderful time in Europe last year.

MichelleB said...

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Lindsey said...

So sorry about Uncle Jim...so hard to lose a loved one...Yes big hug for the whole family are in order. Thanks for the reminder.

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

So sorry, dear. Hugs to you.

Unknown said...

What a lovely tribute to your uncle. I'm so sorry for your loss, but am glad I stumbled into your blog today.

Thank you for sharing this.

littlebyrd said...

That was a really wonderful post and tribute to your Uncle Jim. I am sorry to hear of his passing. How great that he was able to go on that trip - what good memories for the family!

Fer said...

I'm so sorry.

Big hugs to you. :o)

Dorrie said...

Victoria, I'm very sorry for your loss and especially so for your aunt. Peace be, and enjoy the memories.

Bascom Hogue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.