Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Creative Drain-O

I hit a creative road block last week. It happens more often then I like, and despite lots of ideas popping around in my head, everything I make feels off. I start to feel like a drain with a clog in it. No flow.

So, I decided it would be a good time to empty my scrap bin. It's a lovely old red and white enamel pail that I keep by my sewing machine, and at the time it was filled with lots of bright colors, oranges and blues, purples and yellows, all from my last few sewing projects.

Using my scraps often helps to break up the creative clog. It acts sort of like a creative Drain-O! I definitely think that there is some kind of energy moving correlation between freeing up our outer space and freeing up our inner space, thus helping the creative flow to return.


I pulled out the strips of fabric, sorting them by size and just began to sew. After I had made a few sections I started to move them around listening to my gut, along with the fabric, until I had arrangements that looked pleasing and right.


The results were two new art quilts...


The first is called "Dialogue" and is available "here.




And the second, titled "Conversation", (my personal favorite of the two) is available here.


It looks like a busy week awaits me. Taxes need to be done, (ugh!) a couple of appointments to keep, and oldest daughter is coming home for spring break, (Yay!) and for her 20th birthday, (Yikes!) So, if I don't get around to another post this week, I hope you all have a great one! Also, very best wishes to Rachel of Fog and Thistle. Rachel will be appearing on the Martha Stewart Show this Friday! She will be showing off and demonstrating how she makes her fabulous nightlights. I will definitely be watching and cheering Rachel on!!

PS. Mo's had a couple of really great days, with amazing bursts of puppy like energy! I think she has spring fever, and it does my heart good to see her so happy!

27 comments:

Andi said...

These quilts are so lovely.
I also prefer the second one but love them both.
I'm still trying to achieve that gorgeous quilting pattern and would appreciate any tips.
Andi :-)

Chrisy said...

I'm amazed...you just pick up some scrap material and..hey presto...fabulous quilts appear!

Unknown said...

They are fabulous!! Have a great week with your family :)

Fer said...

That's so impressive, I think we all need a sewing block strategy to fall back on. I usually rely on my 'no-brainer' projects - they need little thinking and are done quickly. Just a feeling of accomplishment can do wonders for the creative spirit!

Hey Harriet said...

Creative Drain-O? Ha! I like that! I also like these new quilts. I also like the "conversation" quilt best! I'm amazed with what you can come up with from scraps! Gorgeous! They're very cheerful pieces. Whenever I listen to my gut all I hear is "feed me, feed me!" so my gut isn't as creative as yours ;) Hey I must say that I'm also drooling over the vase & manual typewriter!!! Have a wonderful time with your daughter. I hope Mo is doing better this week and you are both continuing to share lots of laughter and good times :) xo

Hey Harriet said...

Oh yeah & I forgot to say how cool that news about Rachel featuring on the Martha show is! I've never seen the show but have heard all about it. It doesn't screen on regular TV over here. Not that I've been able to find anyway... Yay for Rachel!

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

I could use some of that Drain-O these days! Obviously, you didn't have a major clog because the inspiration seemed to open right up for you!

Go Rachel!

Anonymous said...

What lovely surprises await me on your blog this morning. I always love hearing about your process. A street artist once told me limitations (such as limiting yourself to your scrap bin) can really force the creative process, and your beautiful quilts can attest to that.

Thank you so much for the well wishes, Victoria! Your kind words mean so much to me!

xoxo!

April H said...

WOW! they are gorgeous! What a great way to use up scraps. I like the "drain-o" analogy lol.

Gorgeous.

They just make you feel happy :)

High Desert Diva said...

Oh yes...I'd say the creative drain-o worked! Love 'Conversation'.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Very vibrant and happy. Yippee for Creative Drain-O!

Sarah said...

i agree - working out of the scrapbin really helps with "the block". and i like that second quilt alot!

Beth said...

If that's what you do when you have a brain clog....

Wow!

shellysquilts said...

Victoria, I love your work. It is so interesting to look at! And taxes will put a damper on a lot of things. I had to tell myself to give thanks that I had income to tax. Good luck with all that and happy sewing. You are amazing!

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

I find that just rummaging through my threads helps inspire me so I can see how playing and sorting your fabrics help you.
Wonderful work.

Anonymous said...

Really nice work! I need some of that creative Drain-O too... maybe it's just winter? I think I need the extra strength!

littlebyrd said...

I need some creative draino! I am glad you were able to work past yours and make some beautiful creations along the way. Have a great week!

please sir said...

Oh I love it - and what a great idea to have a scrap bin! You made such a wonderful piece - I think you are unclogged!

picciolo said...

hope you have a great time with your family, your two new quilts are gorgeous, it doesn't look like you had a creative block!
: )

Sheree said...

I think these are both fabulous!

Parallax said...

What gorgeous quilts -- the colors glow. And I love using scraps as a way to get started

Janis said...

Your quote "I definitely think that there is some kind of energy moving correlation between freeing up our outer space and freeing up our inner space" -- how true!

Sometimes when I have so much to do, the best thing for me is to take time out to straighten, clean and rearrange my space. It unclutters my mind and SO improves my productivity!

Fabulous quilts, as always!

bunzi said...

ya for mo! and that is very pretty!

Bascom Hogue said...

Like everyone else, that phrase "creative Drain-O" makes me smile to myself and say, "Yes, that's a good art term." Your quilt work is nice also. Seems to me that maybe your world in Pennsylvania, as you experience it visually, comes to me, comes to us, through the mystic realm of the colors and forms in your work.

jacquie said...

you and your scrap box make an amazing team. the drain-o worked like a charm! love both of these, but especially conversation.

Fleur de Boheme said...

Hello - how is Mo?

xxx Kirsten

Inkspot Workshop said...

Oh yes, the familiar creative block!! That's how I spent most January. I found getting some good, deep sleep and having dreams, put me back on track!