Thursday, August 18, 2011

Stitching with Soft Faded Colors

Summer is starting to wind down and the colors in my yard are starting to fade. These two newest works in my "Patched Work:Rimmed in Red" series seem to reflect a bit of this late summer color pallet...


This first one revisits the idea of several patched layers...


It features several vintage fabrics, including the vintage linen base and that cute little flower print, as well as a couple of lovely shot cottons.


Lot's of fun embroidered elements on this one!


This second piece is very small, a mere 1.75" x 2.5".


Like previous pieces, it's also made from vintage linens and shot cottons, and along with the hand stitched touches, this one also has a cute little vintage mother-of pearl button.


For more on these works please see here and here.


14 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

The second tiny piece of art could make a very wonderful lapel pin. Then you could wear your art. Love the softness of the colors.

Colleen Kole said...

These are really beautiful and your embroidery exquisite.

Needled Mom said...

Really beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

Small stories as we move towards fall. Lovely. xox Corrine

Kit Lang said...

I love this series...

Sujata Shah said...

It is amazing how much detail you put in the tiniest pieces! I like these faded colors.

Anonymous said...

I really love your work! I also am inspired by agricultural architecture :) Just wondering if you get your shot cottons locally-- I live in the same area as you and look for them everywhere, but haven't had much success. Thanks!

Victoria said...

Thanks to each of you. :0)

Anonymous, I use to get the shot cottons at a local fabric shop a couple of years ago, but they no longer carry them. I have asked repeatedly for them to restock, they always say they will, but so far haven't. Now I purchase them on line, but it is getting harder to find them.

Diane J. Evans said...

Proof, once again, that great things come in small packages -- these are lovely!

Diane

sweetypie said...

oh, they are sooo lovely...from tina rose of sweetypie50

Corinnea said...

perfect.

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

I love your Rimmed in red series so much; the vintage fabics add so much softness and wonderful colours to the pieces. And the embroiered buttons - wow!

Sherri ~ daintytime said...

Sweet & detailed work!

Mary Lou Weidman said...

You know, when I see what you are doing, I think how fabulous a boyfriend Jacket would be covered with these kind of like girls scout badges only cooler like your things. I LOVE whimsy and you have the spirit! Keep up the great work.....it is awesome!