Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Stitched Textile Pictures: Barn Series

Back in April I began a new series of stitched barn textile pictures. Not surprising that I decided to focus on barns... anyone familiar with my work knows how much they inspire me. But I seem to especially turn to them in times of trouble. As I walk or drive past them, I've always felt that they whisper to me their own stories of happy memories, along with times of struggle, hardship and survival. They truly are like friends to me, and help me feel like I am not alone as I make my way through this life.

As for the stitched barns below, each one is made from vintage grain sack material, and bits of antique fabric salvaged from an old quilt too far gone to repair. Some also have bits of vintage book cloth, as well. All have been machine and hand stitched. Once finished, each one is then mounted, via hand stitch, to a piece of 140 lb. watercolor paper. 

The first batch of 8 have already sold and I just listed the second batch of 8 today in my Etsy shop. Below are all 16 in full, along with some detail shots, too.

PS. I hope everyone is hanging in there and doing ok. These are difficult times for our country. Again, anyone who is familiar with me, knows that I am aghast at our current administration. Stay safe and well. And VOTE! xo

Barn no. 1

SOLD

Barn no. 1 - Detail

~~~

SOLD

Barn no. 2 - Detail

~~~

SOLD

Barn no. 3 - Detail

~~~


SOLD


Barn no. 4 - Detail

~~~


(with eleanor)
(some are really small!)

SOLD


Barn no. 5 - Detail

~~~



SOLD

Barn no. 6 - Detail

~~~


SOLD


Barn no. 7 - Detail

~~~



SOLD


Barn no. 8 - Detail

~~~



SOLD

~~~


Barn no. 9 - Detail

~~~



SOLD


Barn no. 10 - Detail

~~~



SOLD


Barn no. 11 - Detail

~~~



SOLD


Barn no. 12 - Detail

~~~




Barn no. 13 - Detail

~~~



Sold


Barn no. 14 - Detail

~~~



SOLD


Barn no. 15 - Detail

~~~



SOLD


Barn no. 16 - Detail




9 comments:

רזיה בן גוריון said...

dear victoria, your work is amazing, so orogonal and inspiring, thank you very much.

רזיה בן גוריון said...

so original, sorry for the spelling mistakes.

Studio TBF said...

Would you consider showing the back of one of your barn pictures? I’m interested in the way you mounted them. They are gorgeous! I started following you because of our shared love of barns.

iHanna said...

They're just wonderful, and full of life and (probably) wisdom, right?

Keep stitching!

Jenny M said...

Beautiful creations, Victoria ~ love all the little stitch details.

Gayle from MI said...

These are great! I love them!

Victoria said...

To each of you, thanks for the kind words!

To Studio TBF, I don't have any good shots of the back to share, but I can tell you that I take very tiny stitches on the front, maybe a thread or two wide, and then carry the thread about 1/4", give or take, along the backside before bringing the needle back up to the front. I just repeat this, going all the way around the structure and usually across the bottom of the roof as well. When I run out of thread or come to the end, I tie it off in a tight knot and cut the threads close. Hope that helps.

Unknown said...

Hello
I haven't checked your blog for a long time. I'm glad to see you still working.

taiqi said...

I haven't checked your blog in a long time--but then--you don't blog often. I use your tutorials a lot and love them. such clear instructions.
Your little barns are charming. Please blog more often.