Friday, June 15, 2012

Revisiting Love

Along with continuing to work with appliqué, I am revisiting two other loves... shot cotton and hand quilting. They both make my heart sing.



Using some relatively simple vector drawing applications that I now have on my new computer, I am now easily able to re-create whatever original appliqué designs I think up. I can then print out my templates to scale on some card stock, and get to work. I like this new, (to me) ability to virtually move things around and play with scale, design and layout before ever cutting into fabric.


The shapes have all been hand turned and then machine stitched down with a decorative blanket stitch. The hand quilting is all done free-form... just eyeball it and go! Very relaxing.

If you haven't done much hand quilting, or are just feeling rusty because its been awhile, small projects like this one are perfect to practice on.


To hang the quilt I opted not to use a hanging sleeve, (as it can add some extra bulk and isn't always the best choice for something this light weight and hand quilted). Instead I went for two little folded fabric corners, which can easily support a thin dowel rod for hanging.


A couple more of these mini quilts, in other designs, are in the works. I am finding them perfect to bring along for all those on-the-go summer activities and travels!

This little quilt is currently for sale in my shop here. (Update: Now sold.)

Have a great weekend, everyone!



16 comments:

alejandra said...

Love this quilt, color, design and most hand quilting!!
Have a great weekend you too.

Diane J. Evans said...

You can feel the love that was put into this piece, Victoria -- so reminiscent of gentle days and all things homespun.

Diane

libbyquilter said...

always admire a piece that has been hand quilted and your stitches are lovely.

i think i'm falling in love with shot cottons myself~! they seem to have such wonderful tones to them.

:-)
libbyQ

Hoola Tallulah said...

Just beautiful! I am seeing shot cottons everywhere, I bought a pack of samples from Oakshott and am deliberating over which colours to choose. Your applique is breathtaking, one of these days I hope to have some surplus cashola to spoil myself with one of your beautiful quilts, in the meantime, I shall satisfy myself with visits to your blog to drool over the pics <3

cinzia said...

this is a fantactic little quilt! it has a beautiful vintage feel. I love handsewing too. especialy in the sommer when i can take a project with me by the lake and work as the children play.

Bobbie Casey said...

Victoria,
I thought I would stop by to see what you have been up to lately.
Now, to my great delight, I am so glad I did.
Your work is just gorgeous and I love the applique technique. I especially love the stitching on the butterfly a couple of posts back.It is such a sweet story. The stitches really make it pop.
I love using the freezer paper and card stock and if you took my computer away, oh what would I do?
The Japanese influence is evident in your work in such a new american way. Just love it all.

Bobbie

Fer said...

Hand quilting is so very very satisfying. Such a lovely piece too.

antique quilter said...

beautiful I love the simple design, colors and the quilting is wonderful
what program are you using now???
thanks
Kathie

Victoria said...

Thanks to each of you!

Kathie, Adobe's Illustrator is the one I wanted, but after plunking down the dough for a new mac and a new printer, (as both died the other week) Illustrator was waaaay out of my budget! So for now, I am using Inkscape, (which you can download for free) and Artboard, (which is a mac app and available from Apple's online app store for around $25). Happily, they are much easier to use then Illustrator and are meeting my current needs. Yay!!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

This little quilt is so pretty...the stitches are perfect and so suited to the fabrics and colours!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love it! I feel the same way about hand quilting!
I also love your post about the brown butterfly!

Anonymous said...

beautiful work, as always, Victoria!

Mihaela said...

Beautiful! I love your work!

Vivika said...

Pretty! I love shot cotton too!

Beezus said...

Quite lovely, both the design and the fabrics you chose to use. :)

cheap cosplay costumes said...

Love the beautiful work!You are amazing!