Monday, January 19, 2009

Works in Progress

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. It is freezing cold here in Pennsylvania, so I stayed holed up indoors... as I have stated before, I am not a fan of cold weather!

Here's what I have been working on this last week... everything pictured below is in one stage or another of its creation, and all are awaiting completion.


I have been playing around decontructing and reconstructing a rather thread bare and worn, but visually intriguing vintage, (crazily pieced) scrap quilt that a friend gave to me. Here, in the picture above, I am using the most salvageable parts, adding ticking fabric for the sashing.


I've done the same thing with this piece above, but have used muslin from a vintage feedsack for the sashing instead of the ticking. Notice in this picture the vintage quilts very worn areas, (click on the pic for a better view.) I have decided to keep them in as a way of honoring the fabrics journey.


The photo above is of a string quilt which I am making from strips of vintage feedsacks. I am basically constructing it the same way that I constructed this other quilt. It's an unorthodox way of quilting, and I am sure some quilting purists would frown upon my method, but it works for me.

I start with a roughly cut piece of batting, in this case apx. 6.5", and sew my strips directly on to the batting, placing one on top of the other. Then I trim the sewn piece of batting to a nice straight square. When I have all of my small squares sewn, I then take two of them, butting there flat edges up against each other, side by side, and join them with a zig-zag stitch.


After the whole top has been put together in this fashion, I then place the backing fabric behind it, pin baste it and machine quilt it, (something I have yet to do on this particular one).

This method might look a bit rough around the edges for some folks, but visually I think it works well with the vintage feedsacks. I applied the same method here to completely different style quilt, but on that quilt I covered up the zig-zag stitching with strips of folded fabric, creating a sashing effect.


Above and below are two more "String Studies" all quilted and waiting to be bound.



Oh and one more thing... My quilt, Study in Blues and Red made Etsy's Front Page the other night as part of this lovely treaury put together by One Canoe Two (One Canoe Two... such a cute name!)


Enjoy your day!!

16 comments:

Cheryl Arkison said...

I really like that technique of quilting each string individually. I might have to steal it ;)

Shayne said...

Your quilts are bit by bit (or should I say "square by square"?) making me want to actually take up quilting... they are all gorgeous!

T.Allen said...

Since I've started visiting this blog, I have a whole new appreciation for the quilts we have here at home and wish for the life of me I could've appreciated my great-grandmother's scrap quilts. They were just "thrown together blankets" when I was a child-now I know better. Le sigh....

Hey Harriet said...

That cold weather that you so hate certainly hasn't dampened your creativity at all. Quite the opposite! You're on some kind of crazy cold weathered quilting rampage! I love it! Maybe it helps keep warm :) The brown & orange fabric in the top left corner of the second pic is so cute and retro. I really like what you've done with that one. I like them all but that's my fave. Congrats on being featured in that lovely treasury.

Oh & on a totally unrelated topic, I scored a second Argus. Found one on Etsy yesterday. Hope she's nice & dirty! I was going to ask the seller, but that may have weirded her out a little :D

Anonymous said...

I really like the effect of butting the fabrics up against each other. It's unusual, at least to my naive eyes, and really stands out.

Anonymous said...

What a visual feast, Victoria! I love the textures of vintage fabrics and you have shown us some mighty tasty treats today! Thank you! I'm hating the cold (and the repugnant amount of snow we have) also, but we are off to an orthodontist appt on this cold morning.

Janis said...

Congrats on the Etsy billing!!! I wish I could have caught that, how exciting!

Another beautiful, inspiring post. I love the vintage feedsacks. It makes me daydream about those days and the thrill of acquiring a gorgeous piece of fabric in that way. Utilitarianism at its best! (Is that a word?)

littlebyrd said...

How wonderful to be restoring the old quilt! What a project but I ahve a feeling you will do just fine :)

High Desert Diva said...

Your work just takes my breath away.

Anonymous said...

I love your red and blue quilt. Improv is my favorite approach to quilting.

MichelleB said...

I love the technique that you are using to put that string quilt together. It looks great.

Chris Stone said...

beautiful work!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing these fabulous pictures of your gorgeous work! very inspiring!

please sir said...

I DO NOT like cold weather either. But I do love what you are working on - congrats on the etsy front page!

LeelaBijou said...

Congrats on the Front Page! You have a lovely shop! ^_^

Mrs.French said...

the quilts you have pictured here with the vintage fabrics make me giddy! I can't believe your talent...can I be you when I grow up? xo t