Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Shades of Pink and Coral


This is my latest piece.
I find it very calming and decided to call it "Early Sunday Morning".
Sunday mornings around my home are generally very low key and easy going. Early in the morning there's a feeling of tranquility which even seems to translate into the light that shines in through the windows. I get the same feeling from these gentle shades of coral and pink.


I love how the quilting turned out. It was one of those splendid accidents. I had just oiled my machine and was sewing a piece of scrap fabric through, something I always do after an oiling... it helps to get all of the oil distributed... and my hand accidently hit on a stitch that I never use, and as I moved my hand away I wound up accidently swiping the stitch length control. Because I was just doing maintenance, I went ahead and started stitching on the scrap fabric... And to my delight I loved what I saw being stitched! Amazing what a little adjustment in stitch length and width can do. Note to self: Explore more stitches and variations of the stitches on sewing machine.


I am putting this one in my functional art quilts category, because I think it works equally well on the wall and on the table.


Early Sunday Morning-Modern Functional Art Quilt measures 23.5" x 36.5" and is available in my
Silly BooDilly
shop.

Note: This quilt has been sold.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. I am already so inspired by the quilters I've 'met' through joining project improv. The quilting on this piece is SPECTACULAR. Well done! (Love your blocks too...and the string study...)

dutchcomfort said...

I can relate to the early Sunday morning feeling and your quilt has the exact calming atmosphere! It}s gorgeous! And thanks for the tip to try other stitches. The quilting is so beautiful!

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

I love it so much, I had to buy it. Thank you, Victoria!

Anonymous said...

Exquisite! You seem to be in high production mode these days. Keep up the great work!

Awesome score on Michelle's part! The colors are very her!

Hey Harriet said...

Gorgeous! Yay for happy accidents! I see that it has been snapped up already. Congrats on the super speedy sale! And congrats to Cicada Studio on her wonderful taste & purchase.

You may need to edit this post now :)

Almay Alday said...

The color combos are beautiful! It's so happy and calming!

Victoria said...

THANK YOU, MICHELLE!!!

I will be contacting you later this afternoon... (I have a hectic morning with a daughter already late for school, and a meeting afterwards)... with shipping details.

xo Victoria

Janis said...

How do you get so much done?! That is stunning! I keep telling myself I'm going to play more with my machine stitches - now I know I will.

Beautiful work, as always. :)

High Desert Diva said...

Happy accidents are the best. I was going to say gosh these look like Michelle colors, but I see she already bought it! Yay!

Two Dogs and a Quilt said...

Gorgeous! The quilting is so interesting. Love happy accidents like that.

Jackie Russell said...

The colors and quilting are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a happy accident! I love that stitching. I'm very sorry, but before you send it off, you have to send it to me so I can touch it...and then it can go to its new home. :-) Lovely!

Kim said...

Beautiful piece! Loving the colors and the design. And the perfect name for it :-)

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

It is funny how accidents are sometimes the best inspiration.
You've got yet another lovely quilt!

Jackie said...

Really lovely surface quality.Clver you.

please sir said...

Wow - one of your best pieces yet! These are amazing colors and look so great against the fiestware!

Mrs.French said...

....it's perfect...and it's gone...sadly...at least it went to somenone I adore...one day, I will own one! xo t

jacquie said...

happy accident for sure...it's amazing. i'm going to play with my machine more...this is absolutely stunning.

Beth said...

I've always admired quilters, my few attempts have been, well, odd. This is a stunning quilt. I cannot believe it was an accident. :)

Fer said...

Gorgeous! I have a stitch like that on my machine - might just have to give it a go!! :o)

Megan Coyle said...

Your quilt is beautiful! the world of quilting is quite different from what I do, so I'm always interested in seeing what others can do with it. You've create a fantastic work of art--I like how it looks great as a wall hanging or as a functional piece.

Tammy Robbins said...

I LOVE the quilt and the quilting! So, what stitch did you use? I'm going to go look at my machine!

Anina said...

I love happy accidents! The quilt and the quilting are both lovely!

Karen said...

Victoria, this is a beautiful piece of work.

My Inspired Reality said...

Absolutely beautiful accident:)

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! Super happy accident - i too need to take more time to play :)