Friday, January 30, 2009

Charity Quilts and Going With the Flow

Forgive the lighting in the following photos, it wasn't the best as I was shooting these pics.

This is the first of 2 small wall hanging quilts where I used pieces cut from an old worn vintage quilt and some ticking I've had sitting around for ages. I'm participating next month in a group art show to raise money for our local Habitat for Humanity and I will be putting both of these pieces in, along with some older work. 100% of my proceeds from the show will be going to Habitat, so I hope they sell!


I machine quilted it in an all over wonky, honey-comb looking pattern. I needed to really quilt it pretty heavily as there were a lot of worn and thin areas to the old quilt fabrics and I wanted to make sure this piece was nice and stable.


This is the second one I did.


I quilted this one pretty much the same as the one before. I still need to wash the quilts to soften them up a bit, and bring out the quilted texture better.

And in totally other news... went down into the basement yesterday to do some laundry and found our water heater pouring it's contents onto the floor! Thank goodness Hubby was home. He drained it, and then dismantled it. That's when we saw the whole back side was never sealed up properly, it was actually split open (even though the leak was coming out of the front.) We figure 13 years ago when the builders installed it they used a second, knowing we would never be able to squeeze our heads behind it to see the defect. All's well that ends well, and by the end of the day Hubby had installed a brand new water heater. (That thing was a bear to carry down our steps, and now we have to carry the old one up! Yikes!)

Then...

This morning I went outside and found someone, (no idea who) had left, (or purposely turned on) the hose spigot. It was on full force spilling gallons upon gallons of precious water. What a waste.

So I am asking myself what is up with these water leaks? I am always looking for symbols and meaning in everything and I want to know what the message for me is. What's my lesson that I need to learn? Is it the pessimistic "When it rains it pours" (so get use to it, kiddo) or what I prefer to think, the helpful reminder "Go with the flow, baby!" ... It's actually been my mantra lately, and control freak that I am, I'm trying too, I really truly am! I keep imagining myself in a canoe letting go of the oars and just going with the flow... (something I think I heard on Oprah!) And if this was any kind of test, I passed with flying colors as I stayed calm the whole time I was mopping up water off the basement floor.
Now, I am hoping... no more water leaks!

21 comments:

Minka said...

I LOVE both of these quilts. I'm glad you took photos as I'm sure they will sell! Are they also posted on Flickr? I'd like to mark them as favorites.

connie said...

I really like your little quilts. They are really great. I love the idea of using the old quilts with the ticking. Great. I like the quilting pattern too. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl Arkison said...

I think it means you need to do some water themed pieces....

You are inspiring me to stop and look at the worn quilts I see at the junk store. My husband will officially hate you soon.

bunzi said...

lol i like go w/ the flow :) i love your quilts! :D

Hey Harriet said...

Those quilts are great, and it's so cool that all the sale proceeds are going towards a local charity. I've no idea what the meaning behind your water leaks is all about, but I like your way of thinking. "Go with the flow" sounds like a good mantra! Spigot? Never heard that word before. What a funny little word! It's also kinda funny that you watch Oprah. I've at least heard of Oprah ;)

High Desert Diva said...

Love your quilts...the first one especially. Habitat for Humanity is a wonderful organization...bravo for getting involved.

As for the water leaks...yay! for hubby being home! And I think you're going to have to go with the flow.

Janis said...

I don't even want to think about your water -- the spigot is one of the new tricks I've heard that kids think is funny and don't get me started on that! I'm glad you were home to catch both within a reasonable time frame. Can you imagine if you were gone for a few days . . . shudder.

Anyway . . . I ADORE the quilts!!! So much I don't even have words to tell you. I love the vintage fabrics and that ticking is SO perfect in that neutral taupey color that just sets them off. I wish I could find a piece like that. Too cool!

Oh yeah and your design is perfectly stunning too! As always. :)

gunnelsvensson said...

I lOVE these quilts! They want me to started to making quilt again !!!

Meagan said...

I can tell with just these two quilts that you are going with the flow more. (Not that I obsessively check on your new projects or anything, noooo, not me!) And look how lovely they turned out, to boot. I am very very supportive of your taking old fabrics and making them into new objects--it adds something more to an already beautiful piece of art.

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

If you stayed calm during your water heater episode, you're doing just fine. :)

Love the quilts...I'm sure they will raise lots of money for Habitat. What a wonderful cause to help with :)

dutchcomfort said...

Those quilts are so stunning! I love them both, but the second slightely more...

SandraRee said...

I love all of your quilts, Victoria. You're super talented. And kudos to you for the proceeds that are going towards a local charity. Just shows how wonderful you are! We had some pipes burst outside the other day, can you believe it gets that cold in the South? Stay warm! xo

Amanda Jean said...

your quilts turned out beautifully. i really like the quilting on them.

Unknown said...

Love both your quilts, the ticking and vintage fabrics look so great together - hope they raise lots for habitat!

I like you go with the flow idea better too! Our spigots are frozen for a couple more months :)

Luna Levy said...

Ohhh, your quilts are gorgeous. I love your color combinations!

shellysquilts said...

Victoria, I find your work fascinating! You are awesome!

littlebyrd said...

ah yes...go with the flow! I try to do that too and it is real challenge for me as well! I love that first quilt you pictured - I think it might be my favorite so far.

Fer said...

Curiouser and curiouser!! I agree, go with the flow!

The quilts are gorgeous - so inspiring. :o)

hens teeth said...

Your wall hanging quilts are truly beautiful. I hope they make lots of money.
Sorry that you have had such an awful time with 'water', one way or the other, just lately.

Amy C said...

these are really gorgeous, I love the ticking and the shabby chic look.
Go with the flow - I think is the message - hmmmm I really need to do that too!

jacquie said...

love these...such a great idea. i hope they make LOTs of money for habitat. so sorry about the water woes...i do like the go with the flow mantra...i need to do that more often.