Thursday, March 15, 2012

Hello!


Wow. I did not mean to be gone from the blog for so long! It seems that I wound up taking an unexpectedly long break from sewing and haven't had anything to show. Part life, part winter, part creative burn-out.


But happily this week, the sun has been shining, my enthusiasm once again lifting, and my creative juices are slooowly starting to flow.


I managed to make two quilts. The first one is this little mini quilt. (Yes, the trip to Rincon has sparked a renewed interest in bringing some color back to my work!) I am planning on doing a small series of these little quilts... all with the intent to get back to the basics by exploring color interaction, line, and the division of space.

And previous to the quilt above, I also made this wall hanging which was inspired by the split rail fences that are frequently found in my area, as well as something I saw ...


Last week while walking down a country road near my home, I stopped to watch two horses playing and frolicking in a small, fence enclosed pasture, situated between two farm houses. On the opposite side of the road was another pasture, but this time large and expansive, and filled with rows and rows of split rail fencing, creating many enclosed areas for more horses...


The thing was, all of the fenced in areas were empty, except for one at the very farthest corner, where one lone horse stood, head hung over the fence railing, staring across the fields. He watched with a longing look at the two horses on the other side of me having a grand, old time.


I imagined how that horse wished that all the fences were broken, so that he could gallop with wild abandon over the pastures and across the road, joining in on the horse play.


And so with that horse in mind I choose to quilt this piece with stippling, (instead of the straight stitching I had originally intended). As I quilted I imaged he, (and maybe myself?) was having a grand old time knocking down fences and running free with wild abandon!

So here's to Springtime, renewed creative energy, and all good things coming alive again!

23 comments:

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Welcome back!

kathryn said...

So glad to have you back!

T.Allen said...

So good to have you back, and Spring has certainly swept in with it a renewed sense of creativity and promise. Yay, Spring!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I have missed you! So glad to have you back.
glen

Nifty Quilts said...

It's great to see you again. I always love your work!

Anonymous said...

yeah to color! your choices are subtle and lovely - I like the focal point being the square with the washy overlay... and the split rail quilt is dynamic and incredible. I expect nothing less when I visit here!

GerryART said...

All right, way to go! ! !
I love all these ! ! !
The first two make me want to create something.
hugs
Gerry

Kim said...

Oh good no need to worry about you....welcome back to blog land.
Happy spring and Happy Sewing

MariQuilts said...

Lovely to hear from you again...and see what you are up to. Wonderful quilts.

♥Duff said...

You are lovely! I love the thought of that lone horse and fences. Fences are intriguing because they keep in as well as keep out; you capture that perspective visually and emotionally.
May the spring breezes rifle your mane, Sweet Victoria!

Clare Wassermann said...

Fabulous that you are back and inspired again xxxx

Catherine said...

I love your split rail fence quilt, and the story behind it.

Gill said...

Good to have you back!

Sujata Shah said...

It's great to see you back in the studio again!

Esch House Quilts said...

Welcome back! Both these quilts are beautiful! Having that story about breaking down the fences in your mind must have made quilting the quilt so much more fun that just "I need to stipple this quilt" :)

Anonymous said...

Your first piece reminds me of easter eggs! Welcome back. xox Corrine

Karin på Ösäter said...

Oh I was so happy to see that you are back blogging again, I love to read the stories to your quilts and they are both beautiful but my fave for today is the red /white fence quilt.

Have a great creative weekend

patty a. said...

Well of course you are back to blogland and post a couple of fabulous, inspirational pieces! I need to go to the studio and sew now - right now! Boss - I have a headache, my stomach hurts, I'm hot, ......

Diane J. Evans said...

I was just about to write to you to be sure you were in good health -- so glad to see you are, and that you're creating again. Beautiful pieces -- and you KNOW how much I love your sense of color.

Diane

Darcy said...

Glad you're feeling more like your creative self :-) Love both quilts (as usual)!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Look at this colour! Welcome spring, and you.

zarina said...

I love the look of the first mini quilt. The color combination is great.

Jenny M said...

As you can see, we are all glad to see you back. Beautiful quilts & beautiful creative ideas behind them.