Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Different Approaches


Two new small stitched pieces to share with you. One in fabric and one in paper. Both take their inspiration from the local farms, but approach things from very different directions.


This cute little representational piece is called House With Red Chimney. You can't get any more clear or straight forward then that, (and yes, it's a mighty long name for such a small work!)


It measures 3" x 4" and is made from small bits of shot cotton, and quilted with a variegated cotton thread.


The other piece approaches its subject matter from a more abstract direction. This piece is called Silo, (specifically a grain silo... see all the little seed stitches inside the circle!)

For this work, instead of stitching a representational image of a silo, I've just used some of the lines and shapes of a silo, such as the round top, and the metal ladders that extend up the length of silos.


For the base of this work, I used one of the pieces of handmade paper from my first batch, (that I made from recycled manila envelopes and grass clippings) but before stitching on it, I applied a thin coating of beeswax.


To finish this work, I mounted it onto another piece of (uncoated) handmade paper, and left some of those edges peaking out from behind. The edges remind me of what I imagine an old treasure map would look like, and I think it would be fun to stitch some treasure map work!

Both of these new works, along with a few others have been added to my shop :-)

20 comments:

Kit Lang said...

love them both - especially the silo!

I'm inspired to try some paper making. And since we have a long weekend coming up here in Canada... :)

Needled Mom said...

Both are lovely pieces. I love all of the wonderful stitches.

Nancy said...

Beautiful... both pieces! Love the texture your stitches bring.

Sally said...

Beautiful!!! Did you hand or machine quilt the House with Red Chimney? So so sweet.

sweetypie said...

ooh yes I really like the stitched paper that is really exciting!!!!!

Nifty Quilts said...

Both are stunning. I'm thinking about buying the house one, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

kathrynclark said...

Love them both! And I'm loving my little paper piece which arrived in the mail two days ago! Thanks for holding off on the shipping! My daughter keeps wanting to hold it!

verobirdie said...

The red chimney is mlre like me, but I like the approach for the sill. Both are great works

VivJM said...

These are both fabulous. Your stitching on paper is very inspiring.

Abby and Stephanie said...

The big named little project is perfect in every way. The paper project is truly interesting and I appreciate you explaining your approach. I never would have thought of using beeswax. The thread must glide nicely but I wonder about how difficult it is to get the needle through. Your thread choices are always spot on.

Victoria said...

Thanks to each of you!

Sally, the stitching on the house quilt is by machine.

Kathryn, so happy you received your piece and that you and your daughter like it!

Stephanie, Some of the holes are pre-done on the sewing machine to make the hand work easier, but the seed stitching inside of the circle was done without that benefit, still the needle passed through fine. :-)

Sewhappy said...

Well done victoria they look great I love the direction you are going in...I just love the little house!

Diane J. Evans said...

I am always too late to purchase one of your gorgeous pieces, Victoria! I went to your site and saw that House with Red Chimney had been sold already! Would you please let me know if you make another 3" by 4" piece similar to this one? I have the perfect place for it in my house!

Your work, as always, is impeccable, and such fun to admire. What talent!

Diane

Colleen MacDonald said...

Gorgeous work, as always! I love hearing about your process, and I wonder if the beeswax added more structural integrity to the paper? Did it make the paper easier to stitch?

Victoria said...

Diane, you are always so sweet, thank you! (And I will let you know if I put up another one.)

Colleen, thank you and yes, the beeswax does make the paper a stronger, (in my opinion) and it also make the colors much richer. Not sure f it makes it easier to stitch, as I haven't noticed much difference between stitching on the waxed or the unwaxed. xo

Clare Wassermann said...

I just think these are wonderful - can you tell me if they are completely hand stitch or is there any machining?

Victoria said...

Thank you Clare. The fabric house piece is machine stitched and the paper 'silo' piece is hand stitched.

Katrina said...

lovely, lovely, both of them.

Corinnea said...

Wow! Absolutely wow!

Anonymous said...

These are inspiring me to do something similar depicting an abstracted birds eye view of our neighborhood. Ooh, and maybe my garden...