Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Henry and Matilda

Here are the next two pieces in my School Photo series...

HENRY - (Old German for "Ruler of the Estate"):


Serious and quiet.
Dislikes piano lessons.
Wants to be an architect.
Loves his dog with all his heart.



MATILDA - (Old German for "Mighty Battlemaid"):



Enjoys eating blueberries.
Daydreams while listening to Billie Holiday.
Wants to be a microbiologist.
Often can't sleep due to concerns over why honey bees are mysteriously dying.


Each School Photo piece is stitched on the machine, free-motion style using Premium Sulky 30 wt. cotton black thread. I make them up as I go along. I like the surprise of watching them develop... their faces and their personalities emerge and make me smile... I'll be showing more school photos and sharing more of the process in my next post.

Hey! If you haven't already, don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY and win a free copy of Quilts, BABY! from Lark Books!

13 comments:

Amy C said...

you are a creative genius - this new series is sooooooo cool and so fun - I love all of their personalities.
Welcome back to bloggy stuff - I hope you enjoyed your time out!

Abby and Stephanie said...

How fun the personalities they take on as your create. So looking forward to more school photos.

Unknown said...

Terrific faces! But I also love the coloring of each too. Very happy!

shellysquilts said...

I know I said this to you yesterday, but I sure am glad your back. Your work is the perfect combination of interesting, whimsical, and down right cute! Well done!

Hey Harriet said...

Awwww...these are so sweet! I already snuck over to your shop a little earlier to have a peek before you posted them here. I couldn't wait! Matilda has great taste in music :)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

very cute, your on a roll! they are evolving!

Colleen MacDonald said...

I am in LOVE with this series. My heart just leaps with happiness at the sight of these little people. Thanks for your creativity!

Manola C. said...

Your creations are absolutely beautiful! I love them!

Jackie said...

Oh these are terrific!
The word verification is 'moops'!

Fer said...

Eek! They're gorgeous!

Agnes Nz said...

Your tiny dolls are simply gorgeous!

elsie said...

your work is so beautiful and I love the old fashion names too! just discovered your lovely blog and awesome etsy shop on a forum thread - so glad I did! come on over and visit me sometime:
http://namaste-elsiee.blogspot.com/

Cheryl Arkison said...

So far Matilda is the most like me - at least when I was still taking school photos. This is a fantastic series!