For the Project Improv charity block donation, each participant was asked to pick one of three color combinations, (red/aqua, blue/green, orange/pink) and construct an 12.5" x 12.5" improvised log cabin block... obviously based on the pics below, I picked orange and pink!
The batik prints and colors used in 2 of these blocks are so bright I almost feel like I should wear sunglasses! My current projects are in more muted colors, so when I started pulling fabrics from my stash to construct these, I tried going for just the opposite.
I decided to go ahead and construct 3 blocks, just in case they could use some extras, plus it gave me a good excuse to play around with different ways of construction.
Some of the participants have volunteered to help sew the donated blocks into quilt tops, (just for the record, and to be completely honest, I am not one of those amazingly selfless people who so graciously volunteer their time. I get very grouchy and difficult to be around when I commit myself to large group projects. Wish I had a more giving temperament, but I don't.)
I read that Jackie of Canton Village Quilts, and a friend of hers have volunteered to do all of the quilting on their longarm machines for free. My hat's off to them, the other volunteers, and especially Jacquie of Tallgrass Prairie Studio, the brains and energy behind this project. I am continuely humbled, (and shamed a bit, too!) by people's energy levels and true generosity.
To see more of Project Improve blocks and projects, check out Project Improv's Flickr Site