Monday, January 5, 2009

Goals for The New Year and Study in Blues and Red - Utilitarian Inspired Modern Art Quilt

Yay! Over the holidays I did find time to finished the quilting and binding on the quilt from this previous post.



I've named her "Study in Blues and Red".





Back...

This utilitarian inspired modern art quilt is available in my shop for anyone interested!

(For better viewing click on the pics!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been thinking, as many of you have, what my goals for this New Year will be. I narrowed my focus to three things, which I hope to apply to all areas of my life:

Explore More
Fear Less
Simplify

Keeping these goals in mind I am hoping to apply them to my quilting by...

~ Exploring more with color interaction, construction and quilted stitch.

~ Not being afraid of what people will think, or fearing whether or not the finished work will be liked and accepted. (This is a hard one because obviously one always hopes that ones work will be liked and accepted, but thinking about it can also be a real roadblock to creative exploration.)

~ Simplifying the creative process by not over thinking everything, and allowing things to come together in a more random way.

I hope to be creating and posting lots of new work throughout this year, (I have some more pieces already finished and waiting patiently in line to be photographed) and am looking forward to discovering what I learn and where it takes me!

New Years and new beginnings are so exciting, don't you agree?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS. Don't forget to help save Handmade for our Children! Check out my last post for more information, or click on the Handmade Toy Allowance link on the right.

21 comments:

T.Allen said...

I love the quilt!

Great goals Victoria. I can't tell you how many poems and paintings, scrapbook pages, sewing projects are all "hiding" in nooks of my workspace. I call it perfection paralysis and I agree it's time to let go of it and explore more, fear less and simplify. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I love that quilt too!

hens teeth said...

I think your 'Study in blues and red' is stunning. Exquisitely contructed...how on earth did you do that?

Janis said...

I love all your work but this one takes my breath away! I knew when I saw it the first time but it still grabs me with renewed awe.

Your love your goals, they are all insiring to me.

Give Mo a hug for us. Hope your day is a happy one.

High Desert Diva said...

Love the quilt and your goals.

please sir said...

LOVE your goals for the new year - simple and straight forward. I say go for it - you are already off to a great start.

kelly said...

This quilt is *stunning*, Victoria. Love your goals -- thanks for the inspiration! (As always...)

Kel said...

Amazing work, love the quilt.
I look forward to seeing what else you create in 2009!!
Kel

jacquie said...

saw this on flickr...love the fabrics you used...stunning is a great description!

Beth said...

What a beautiful quilt.

Michelle said...

Wow, you are talented! I am also going to try to simplify the creative process.

Fer said...

The quilt is truly wonderful, and very inspiring too.

I like your goals, I can relate to them very easily! :o)

Hey Harriet said...

Your completed quilt is gorgeous. Her name is also very lovely. Great goals! I love how they can be applied to your quilting and to life in general. Looking forward to seeing all of your 2009 creations! And yes, new beginnings are exciting! I'm feeling really inspired. I do with the beginning of each new year. I just need to work on a way to keep the enthusiasm bubbling past February. If often comes to a crashing halt around then. :D

picciolo said...

What great goals, and I love the back of your quilt just as much as the front!
: )

Jackie said...

Much as I love the front of that quilt(the red sings) I really do love the back too.

Mrs.French said...

I can't get over thie quilt...stunning, beautiful perfection! I love it with my whole heart! I think you may get the idea...your areas of focus are wonderful, we could all learn something from you dear victoria! xo t

bettyninja said...

This quilt is amazing. Really. I love the red mixed in with these slightly muted blues. The back is great and as always your quilting looks fabulous

Amy C said...

happy 09 to you too.
one of my new years thought is to fear less too.
Your stunning quilt looks pretty fearless to me, its such an incredible and beautiful accomplishment LOVE it

Amanda Jean said...

i love love LOVE your quilt!

sweetmaggiemay said...

absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Your quilt is amazing! How do you part with them!?