Monday, December 22, 2008

Happiness is a Warm Puppy Dog


Every year at Christmas time I get completely stressed out. I worry and obsess and try to create the perfect image of what a happy Christmas is suppose to be. The lights, the decorations, the tree, the treats, the presents. And I dread it. And I feel guilty for dreading it. And all of that worry, obsessing, dread and guilt wears me out.


This year though none of that matters. Life, (as well as our living room) got turned a bit upside down when Molasses entered into this final stage of her cancer. Funny thing is, I am starting to think that Mo didn't get the memo that she was supposedly on her way out, and I am so happy! As a matter of fact, this is the happiest I have felt during the Christmas season in a long time.


We joke that our blanket and towel covered living room, which I have affectionately dubbed Camp Mo, looks a bit like a crime scene, what with all of the little splatters of blood everywhere from her nose. Thankfully she hasn't had any bad bleeds in the last 2 days, but a sneeze or a simple shake of the head can send a few red droplets flying, (and we have been told that the hemorrhaging can, and will, start up again at anytime... which truthfully scares the daylights out of me.) She is more tired then usual, but considering that on Friday we were calling the Vets to make the preliminary arrangements for when the "time came", (which we all thought was going to be any day) she has rebounded remarkably well since then. Her appetite is still good, and she even gets a bit of energy now in the afternoons and plays a little with her toys.


Hubby is on vacation this week, and we now take turns sleeping by her side at night on the air mattress, and being with her during the day. The house decor is certainly not looking very festive, the tree is only half decorated, and half of the lights are burned out! I have completely slacked on the gifts, and only sent half of the Christmas cards on my list. But the home is filled with lots of love and joy and thanks to Molasses BooDill, I have my priorities straight this year. Forgive me, for I know I am stating the obvious, but it really is all about the love. Not the lights, nor the tree. Not the cards or the cookies. And not even the gifts on Christmas morning. It is just about the love. The Who's in Whoville had it right. So did Charles Schultz when he proclaimed that happiness was a warm puppy!

Thanks to everyone for their kind and loving words. Things are looking up that Mo will make it to her 12th Birthday on Christmas Day, which is all any of us here want. (However, we did give her a few early presents just in case. You never saw a dog love to open a present more then Mo. She won't steal your food, but she will steal your unopened presents!)

I have also been doing some quilting/sewing, when not watching Mo, as it is tops for filling my well and keeps me going. I hope to post some pictures here and some new items in my shop after the holidays.

Best wishes to all of you! xoxo

19 comments:

SandraRee said...

Hey Victoria...big big hugs to Mo. I can see the love in her eyes...sweet darlin' she is. :)

Wishing you and your family a very Merry, Merry Christmas. Miss you. xoxo

AshleyL. said...

OOOOH! How sweet!

I hope you and your pups have a very merry Christmas :)

dutchcomfort said...

I’ve been thinking off you and Mo a lot. Glad to see she’s still with you to celebrate Christmas. This year will be a very special one. Merry Christmas to you all and hugs and cuddles! Take care!

High Desert Diva said...

"Love floods us with hope."
~ Jareb Teague



Best Christmas wishes...

LiPeony said...

Hope your family and Mo have a wonderful holiday... =D

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

It IS about the love. It's always about the love. You will have a very loving Christmas this year and your hearts are wide open to catch every last bit of it with few distractions over more material notions. A Merry Christmas to you all plus a scruffle of the ears for Mo.

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

It's funny how a dog can teach us all we really need to know. They are more special than we can ever realize. Merry Christmas.

kelly said...

This post fills me with joy. Thank you so much for sharing.

I hope that you and Mo and the rest of your family have a wonderful Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vic,
I've never been to your house, but it looks so pretty! I like your blankets all over, and Mo looks so sweet and comfy.
lots of love to all of you!
maggie french

Anonymous said...

Mo appears to be smiling contentedly in the new pictures - so you are doing a great job. Your house looks bright and festive and warm and Christmassy - another great job. So stop obsessing already! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

please sir said...

Awww what sweet words and images to live by. You are so right in the holiday way. Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!

Jackie said...

Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy every moment of Molasses.
x

Anonymous said...

Everyday is a holiday when you share your home with critters. All that fur equals love, love and more love. Give Mo kisses from me and my gang of fur.

Mrs.French said...

I think sweet mo has brought the real meany of Christmas to your house...it is a miracle how sometimes the toughest moments teach us the most...thinking of you my dear...xo

Fer said...

Lots of gentle pats to Mo, and hey, is that a toy wombat she's got there?

Nice to see you're also getting some sewing therapy in as well. It's amazing what this can do for you. :o)

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, Vic! Lots of love to Mo.
Love,
Maggie M.

Hey Harriet said...

Mo looks so adorable & happy surrounded by blankies & loved ones. Yes, Charles Schulz was spot on. Happiness is indeed a warm puppy.

Merry Christmas to you Victoria & your family & also big birthday hugs for Mo! xo

Julia said...

Warmest wishes for Christmas!

Janis said...

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful soul. I wish you comfort and peace and lots more good moments and memories. She loves you so. XOXO